Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If grandparents are given permanent custody of a child while…

Customer Question
If grandparents are given...

If grandparents are given permanent custody of a child while the mother is in prison for drug possession, what rights will the mother have if once released she can prove that she is staying clean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Were the police contacted? Is there an active case or investigation?

She was initially charged with child endangerment when she overdosed on heroine. Her daughter was placed with her grandparents at that time. She recently went back to jail for another case of possession of heroine.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is likely to get some jail time from this.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/2/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Unless she motions here and convinces the judge she has no visitation rights.The court might allow her supervised limited visits at the most it is very possible he denies them all together.Until the court awards her visitation the grandparents decide if and when she would get to visit.Otherwise no visitation.I guess you cross this bridge someday when she gets out of jail.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I wish you all the best.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer