Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My boyfriend is going through a divorce and we are not sure

Customer Question
if he can get in...
My boyfriend is going through a divorce and we are not sure if he can get in trouble for seeing me before it is finalized. I have never been around his kids and dont plan on going around them until its over. Can his ex use me against him in court if she finds out about me?
JA: Are there any minor children from the relationship? What is the custody situation?
Customer: They have 3 kids 7 4 and 3. Now that school has started she will keep them during the week and he will get them every other weekend. He is also picking them up 2 days a week buy bringing them back before bed time.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She had a guy spend the night while she had the kids. Which they both agreed they wouldn't do. He only found out because the kids told him. I have never been around his kids and dont plan on it until everything is final.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/2/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Okay thank you

You just need to try and keep a low profile.If you do that avoid sleepovers or much in front of kids you will be find.You want to avoid being drug into the divorce if you can.Honestly it also gives you some time to see if you can deal with his ex and three kids long term or not.It is real baggage and some people cannot handle that.So going slow gives you some time to slowly involve yourself with his kids as well as him.You want to avoid being drug into any custody or other battles.This protects you and allows you to decide whether you want in or out once he is divorced.

You also get a chance to see whether you can deal with the ex and whether everyday is a battle or they get along mostly.That can be critical to you and whether you can handle this permanently.Remember he will be stuck dealing with the ex for the next 12 years or so and have to pay child support so it affects you on many levels.

I appreciate the chance to help you today, let me know if you have more.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer