Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have a domestic partner dispute for which my now x partner

Customer Question
Pearl, hello , my name...
Pearl, hello , my name is***** have a domestic partner dispute for which my now x partner is blocking me from personal and business belongings in her home as well as money she borrowed to invest in her home. I need to know what my rights are in AZ, thank you
JA: Are there any minor children in the relationship?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this moment
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/2/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. You are more than welcome to provide more detail as we continue this chat, but generally an individual is not allowed to block you from your personal belongings in their home. By doing so, they may be liable for a trespass to chattels (personal property). The usual measure of Damages for a trespass to chattel typically is the rental value of the property over the course of the trespass. It's an imperfect science, but it's the most objective way that the courts operate to determine how much somebody can recover.

If the personal belongings also include the business belongings, then your business might have a cause of action against her as well for trespass to chattels. You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter Stating that you have a right to this property and that because of her unlawful blockage for you to access this property, the law allows you to bring a lawsuit under the theories that I mentioned above.. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer