Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a 16 year old daughter that would like my husband to…

Customer Question
I have a 16...

I have a 16 year old daughter that would like my husband to adopt her. Does the biological father have to sign her off?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nebraska

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She was born in California and bio father lives in Chicago

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/2/2017
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 8 months ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney

Hello! Please stand by as I work on your answer!

Yes, if the biological father is on the birth certificate, he must either consent to the adoption and relinquish his parental rights or he must be notified of the adoption and if he doesn't consent a Judge must terminate his rights.

originallawyer
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney