How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5171
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is going to college-do we need to amend child

Customer Question

My son is going to college-do we need to amend child support? We are supporting him equally in college.
JA: Has either parent's income increased/decreased significantly?
Customer: No
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Son will be leaving on campus, so overnights will be equal and limited to school breaks
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

The answer to your question is no. You don't need to amend the child support, but if you would like you are welcome to. What a lot of couples do in this situation is they will amend the child support to reflect the costs incurred with the child attending college. It could be something as simple as one parent pays for a portion of the tuition while the other parent pays for the housing and for textbooks. My recommendation would be to find out what his cost of attendance is going to be and then figuring out who is going to pay what. In many cases, a parent that is paying more in child support may pay a little bit less for the cost of attendance since they already have money going to support the child.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?