Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

The judge denied my motion for rehearing and disposed of the…

Customer Question
The judge denied my...

The judge denied my motion for rehearing and disposed of the case. what are my options now?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Florida leon county

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I cannot afford a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well I can give my case number ***** he/she can overlook the case would that help?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/2/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

A family law litigant has 30 days from the final judgment to file a notice of appeal. (A few non-final orders can also be appealed, but for the sake of brevity, we will only consider final judgments). For example, if you are not happy about how the trial judge ruled in your divorce trial, you must file the aforementioned notice no later than 30 days after the signed final judgment is issued. If you fail to timely file this notice, you waive the right to appeal forever.

Within 70 days after filing that notice, the appellant must submit an initial brief. This brief is the “meat” of the appeal, and contains all of the legal arguments for overturning the trial court's final judgment.

The Florida Rules of Appellate Procedure contain dozens of detailed format requirements that the brief must adhere to (e.g. length, font, and margins). In short, drafting the initial brief requires a minimum of 4 to 6 hours of work for a family law attorney. This is why the appellant is given 70 days to complete this brief.

Self help manual and forms you need

http://prose.flabarappellate.org/pdf/ProSe_English_May09.pdf

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.