Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex and I divorced 11 year ago. We have three kids in the…

Customer Question
My ex and I divorced...
My ex and I divorced 11 year ago. We have three kids in the settlement I stayed in house we co own he paid carring costs inc mortgage. Till our youngest go to college than we sell or buy one or other out split proceeds. We share last name as well. I have 3 credit cards some of which I took out after divorce and my ex is listed on account but don't have actual credit card in his name . We both just found out I am and always have paid these but he is saying I had him on accounts fruadentley . I did not even know. I own these accounts . Can I be in trouble if I tell credititors these are and always have been just mine? What do I do.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/2/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. How did he get on these accounts? If you opened them solely in your name, why is his name on them?

We had two accounts never closed and I'm on mortgage till house is sold I'm not sure on third account

If you did not add him to the accounts or open the accounts in his name, you could not get in trouble. If you both just found out, you should remove him, so he is not liable. If the bills have been paid, nothing would result and come from this, since he was not harmed and the credit card companies should remove him, if you call and are the authorized user on the account. He can make whatever allegations he wants but there would need to be proof but at this time, since it is known, it needs to be cured and corrected and you can call up and ask that he be removed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!