Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a 22 month old daughter. Her father and I were never…

Customer Question
Hello. I have a 22...
Hello. I have a 22 month old daughter. Her father and I were never married. He left us when she was 10 months old. Now he has come back into the picture and is using her to get to me. And he has been harassing me such as calling/texting 52 times in one day. I do not want to get back with him. in the last six months, he has broke into my parents home, started a fist fight with my new boyfriend in my home in front of our daughter, pulled up to our home and started an altercation from his vehicle and then called the police and said my boyfriend injured him (he told me later he took broken glass and cut himself to make it look like he was hurt), and numerous "wellness" calls, one he pretended to be my dad, where the police have come to my home at least six times. I had a restraining order against him and stupid me, I lifted it because he came to me and gave me money and said how it had changed him etc etc. I bought into it. Dumb I know. So now I have the police come to my door and serve me with custody papers that include a parenting plan with our daughter. I dont want him near her ever again. What can I do or what should I do? Thank you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/2/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Everything you've just said is evidence you can use to show the judge why he should not be allowed to have joint custody or even unsupervised visitation. Your new boyfriend can testify. Bring police reports if you have them. Bring the texts.

You can also file a police report showing the harassment, which falls within the Oregon definition of stalking. Ore. Rev. Stat., Section 163.732. A father who stalks the mother of his child is not likely to get custody, because the judge is going to look at that when deciding what to do. You'll get another restraining order when you file the report.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?