Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My Ex and I have no current child custody orders in place. I…

Customer Question
Hello. My Ex and I...
Hello. My Ex and I have no current child custody orders in place. I will be starting the process myself in a couple weeks. However school starts next week and he wants to be present for the first day. I'm hesitant to tell him because i know he has a right to not just pull her out early. But to also keep her in his possession until a order is in place. If I don't tell him where she's enrolled at, will that hurt me during our court battle? The kid is 5. And I don't trst the father.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/2/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago
Michael Bradley
I do think that you need to disclose where the child is going to be going to school. I do understand that without a court order he could theoretically take her and not return her. However that is not something that the court will look favorable upon. I also do not think the court would look very favorable upon you putting her in school and not disclosing that school to the father. You may want to put some sort of note in her file at school to ensure that he does not sign her out or that you do not Grant him permission to sign her out and that you would want to require both parents agreeing to that decision