Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My Ex and I have no current child custody orders in place. I…

Customer Question
Hello. My Ex and I...
Hello. My Ex and I have no current child custody orders in place. I will be starting the process myself in a couple weeks. However school starts next week and he wants to be present for the first day. I'm hesitant to tell him because i know he has a right to not just pull her out early. But to also keep her in his possession until a order is in place. If I don't tell him where she's enrolled at, will that hurt me during our court battle?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
Correction. "she will be starting school"
8/2/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago
Michael Bradley
Have you filed for custody at this point? How old is the child? Has he threatened to grab the child and not return them?
I haven't filled but will do it soon. Child is 5. He hasn't threatened but I don't trust him. He knows he can keep her if he wanted to.
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago
I can understand your frustrations since there is no court order in place. That is why it is imperative for you to put a court order in place. I do think a judge would not be happy if they found out that the child was placed in school and the other parent had no say nor or they told of the location. I would put something in place at the school to prevent him from signing her out to another school. There may be something you can do where it would need both parents consent to remove the child from school to go to another school. I will talk with the office