Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
99092957

I'm thinking of getting married in Hawaii. I live in Utah.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: I'm thinking of getting married in Hawaii. I live in Utah. Hawaii's website says a marriage license there is good only in and throughout Hawaii. Does that mean the marriage is not considered a legal marriage when we return to our residence state of Utah?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are both in our late 50's and have both been married and divorced before. I really don't want to get into a legal marriage again so thought getting married in Hawaii would be a nice gesture without the legal complications of an actual marriage in Utah.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 2 months ago.
What you are referring to is that in Hawaii, the marriage license can only be consummated in Hawaii. If you get married in Hawaii, it will be recognized in Utah. Some people obtain a license in one state and then have the ceremony somewhere else. That would be a very popular option in Hawaii as it is a destination location. However, if you do get married in Hawaii you will be recognized in the rest of the states. It would be considered a legal marriage. I can understand your thought process with regards ***** ***** getting married since there theoretically is not a reason to get married as there are no children and you are both already married before and divorced and I'm assuming self-sufficient. The only thing you could do would be to have a ceremony somewhere without the obtaining or signing of a license. At that point the marriage would not be valid without a license but the ceremony would have taken place. This could be something you may want to look into but could also open up issues in the future.