Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Just got disconnected form FL-165 in California what happens…

Customer Question
Just got disconnected form...

Just got disconnected form FL-165 in California what happens after and what other forms need to be filled out

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Nope

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
Going through a divorce. In March 2017 the FL-165 form was filed. Nothing has happened since then. Are there more forms that need to be filled out. This is in California, it is a non contest divorce. No children, or assets are being asked for , just a divorce nothing else
8/2/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Many California counties require that you submit a proposed divorce decree along with Form FL-165, including the terms for which you’ve asked in your petition. If you have children, you must include forms relating to custody and child support. If you and your spouse own any community property, you’ll have to complete and submit the property declaration form. If you don’t attach a property declaration form, check off the box on Form FL-165 box that explains why. You may also have to include an income and expense declaration form or a financial statement.

When your paperwork is complete, make at least two copies. The court keeps the original on file and the clerk will mail one copy to your spouse. You’ll need the additional copy for your records -- and the clerk will stamp it as received. You’ll also need two envelopes large enough to hold copies of the paperwork, complete with postage, so the clerk can forward your paperwork to your soon-to-be ex. If all your forms are completed correctly, California doesn’t require that you appear in court to end your marriage. The judge will sign the divorce decree and the clerk will mail it to you in the other envelope you provide. You’re legally divorced as of the date the decree is stamped as filed.

I would call the clerk to see if you are missing anything that would prevent the judge from signing the default.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer