Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My only son's wife won't tell me where he is to be cremated

Customer Question
My only son's wife won't...
My only son's wife won't tell me where he is to be cremated and I want to see him before he is cremated. He is waiting for an autopsy and investor says she told them not to tell me. She won't talk to me. He was my only child. What can I do to get this information. I have also raised funds to help pay for it since he had no life insurance
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. I can't afford one
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I also want to know how I can get visitation rights to my 2 grandkids since I'm sure she'll try to stop me from seeing them, They are 20 mos and 1 mos old. Also I have belongings in a storage unit. My son put his roommate's name on it but he won't let me have access to my belongings even though my address was given as an alternate address and I received late notices from the storage unit
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2017
Family Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 3 months ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am very sorry about this tragic situation and the recent loss of your son.

Unfortunately, generally, because the wife would be considered the next of kin of the deceased person, unless the wife allows for anyone to visit the deceased person, there would not be any legal recourse, since, even if the parent of the deceased tries to pursue the issue and ask court to order visitation with the deceased child, it might take too long before the court would review and decide on such petition.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.

I also had 2 other questions. 1. I have some of my belongings in a storage unit with my son and his roommate. My name isn't on the account but my address was put down as a secondary address. The belongings are my wedding stuff, VHS & DVDs of family events, as well as movies, etc (which I have most of the receipts for them). His roommate won' let me have access because my daughter in law told him not to give me access. Can I file a police report and report my belongings as stolen or force him to give me access? 2. I want to see my grandkids who are 20 mos and 1 month old. I cannot get my daughter in law or her mother to respond to my requests. What are my options? (ie. take her to court for visitation rights?) They are my only link to my only child (my son who was only 24 yrs old when he died).
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law