Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

A woman and I were having a relationship and we parented a…

Customer Question
Hello a woman and...

Hello a woman and I were having a relationship and we parented a child, I did not find out until later. She and i have not spoken to each other in months and i no longer have an interest in this woman and we are not having a relationship. I'm considering waivng my parental rights due to the fact I did not find out until I received a letter in the mail from the attorney general referencing child support. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Who has legal custody? Is there a child custody order in place?

Not in the slightest. She has custody of the child

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Unfortunately, while you can give up your rights to the child, you can't avoid your legal obligations to support the child until the child turns 18. If the mother has filed a paternity case, then the AG will require you to submit to a DNA test to determine if you are the father. If you are the father, then the judge will set an amount of child support based on your income and the mother's income as well as any custody.

.

The only way to get out of child support legally is if the mother marries and then the new husband wants to adopt the child as his own.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much