How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42835
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister has legal guardianship of our father (in Florida).

Customer Question

my sister has legal guardianship of our father (in Florida). She is moving to Colorado and we wish to move my father to Tennessee, where I live. Our attorney is not being responsive to getting this accomplished and, because I have found a nursing home and have reserved a spot, we need to get this accomplished ASAP. Can we move Dad without having to go through the court first? Can we get a hearing with the judge ourselves without having to go through this lawyer? I have contacted an attorney in Tenn. to handle matters here.
JA: Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: yes. my sister has legal guardianship of my dad.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. I can give you case number ***** It was filed in duval county court, Jacksonville, Florida.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 months ago.

You can move your dad here.Your lawyer in Tenn should write the judge and ask the guardianship be terminated because sister has moved as has the father and that he will go to nursing home and where.That should take care of the guardianship with you asking it to be dismissed.

The lawyer can then file there in Tenn to reopen a new guardianship.There is not a problem with relocating him just have lawyer write the judge and ask it be dismissed.Your sister may also write a letter here to that effect as well to the judge and that she is in agreement.I don't think it will be a problem and it gets dismissed there in Florida.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.