Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have an ex husband that is harassing me and my teenage…

Customer Question
I have an ex...

I have an ex husband that is harassing me and my teenage daughter. When I did not respond this weekend, he blocked me, and has my youngest daughter in his care with no way for me to contact her. He has also thrown away all of my clothes and belongings, and refuses to let me get my bed and television from his house. He has left the utility bills in my name and not paid on them in 3 months. I don't know the best route for this

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, I don't know where to begin

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Those are the main issues

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Do you have any court orders in place that mandated him to return your property or that would impact any of the things that are going on right now?
No. Just the divorce decree, and a lot of texts and email with him harassing, me asking him to stop, him admitting he threw my belongings away and refuses to pay the utilities he used.
Thank you for your reply.
Okay, so if he is violating the divorce decree, you have legal recourse at least.
Your legal recourse is going to be that you must file a Motion for Order to Show Cause for Contempt of Court, in the court where the divorce decree was entered. In your motion, you need to describe each violation of the divorce final decree and ask the court to award you not only an order for him to comply, but sanction him with money damages AND also your attorney's fees and costs for forcing you to file this contempt motion in court.
Going back to court though is the only way to put an end to these issues you are having, if you do not do so he will continue abusing you in this manner.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer