Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to file a response to a divorce petition... have no…

Customer Question
I need to file...

I need to file a response to a divorce petition... have no money for an attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Do both sides consent to the divorce? Are there minor children in the relationship?

No... he has filed, wants to take everything, no children. If I don't respond I walk away with nothing

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is 6 hours away in Collin county... I'm in harding county

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2017
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Is this a joke? Honestly i dont think i could handle being jerked around right now

I am working on your answer right now. It takes me a little time to write it up.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Even though you have no money for an attorney you still want to consult with one. I will post some links below that can help you find low cost or no cost representation.

Please know that you may be entitled to support during the diorce process that will help you pay your bills and help toward an attorney.

Texas is a community property state. This means that you are entitled to 1/2 of all assets acquired during the marriage. You may also be entitled to spousal support (alimony). So please do not just walk away.

This link is to low cost help:

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/texas/hardin-county/legal-aid-and-pro-bono-services

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

In addition to the above the following is a form that you can use to draft your own response to the divorce and file it yourself:

https://www.txdivorce.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Div_No_Kids_Answer_Final.pdf

You want to identify the Marital Property that you are making a claim to.

Kind regards,

Gerald

How do i opt out? Youre not helping me at all

I will opt out for you. I am sorry that I was not able to help you. Another expert may try.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Ray here a new expert and Texas lawyer.

Are you still needing an answer form for divorce?

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer