Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been married for 24 years and i am disabled what am i…

Customer Question
I have been married...

I have been married for 24 years and i am disabled what am i intitled to as far as financially from my husband i live in arkansas?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My husband is a drunk and wont work like he should and hes been caught lying and cheating.i am on disability .

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You may be entitled to spousal support here for half the length of marriage if the judge awards it to you.Arkansas awards three types of alimony: temporary, short-term, or permanent. Similar to other temporary orders, temporary alimony is an award that covers the period between when you file for divorce and when the divorce decree is issued. Short-term alimony is awarded for a defined period of time to allow you to get on your feet. If you are awarded permanent alimony, it automatically terminates if you remarry or enter into a situation that the court considers as equivalent to remarriage, unless the divorce order indicates otherwise.

Here in Arkansas courts determine whether you should receive alimony based on the need of the requesting party and the other party's ability to pay. Unlike child support, alimony awards are not based on a set of calculations or guidelines, so there is no way to predict how the judge will calculate your alimony. Rather, the judge will look at your assets, your spouse’s assets, your ability to support yourself, your living situation during your marriage and anything else the court deems just.

Hopefully the judge awards you long term alimony called spousal support for half the length of marriage.You should consider a lawyer to file and seek this.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer