Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex-husband and I were married for 35 years and had 6

Customer Question
My ex-husband and I...

My ex-husband and I were married for 35 years and had 6 children together, he continually has filed to reduce the alimony payments for the past 7 years since the divorce. I believe he has been doing it out of hatred and cruelty. I originally filed for the divorce as irreconcilable differences but he was cheating with multiple women for 30 of those 35 years. Could I sue him even if the divorce was settled?

Lawyer's Assistant: How long was the marriage? Do both parties earn roughly the same amount of money?

He earns over 150k/year, I earn just about 35k

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is married to the last woman he cheated with - they got married within the year we were divorced. They both have caused my children and myself a lot of emotional distress since then.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/1/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

Your best remedy here is to seek legal fees anytime he files and force him to pay yours if you prevail.This is the only remedy to stop this.You cannot sue him separately for seeking to lower alimony.You can seek to have him pay legal fees and costs of court, this can add up here if you have a lawyer.Thats your legal remedy. also you can counterclaim and ask to raise them as well.It works both ways if you can show he has more income here.These are your options as I see them.

I am so sorry he is doing this to you.I appreciate the chance to help you today.Let me know if you have followup.

If you can positive rate when we are done it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the advice. I think it's time to get a new lawyer.

I wish you the best here thanks for rating 5 stars.