How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married to an abusive husband but remained in it

Customer Question

Hi, I have been married to an abusive husband but remained in it so that our son with aspergers can complete college and become independent, I attend counseling, 12 step groups and have a good friend support. My husband has 2 adult children who are independent and married with kids of their own, I have been in their life since they were 5 and 7. When my son was 3 (he is now 19), my husband went part time and convinced me to go refinance and assist in a property he was purchaseing with a partner. I said yes because I believed it when he said it would finance our retirement. Now 1/2 our home mortgage is wrapped in this and he has no intention of selling for our retirement and has stated he will put it in a irrevocable trust. I want to retire ( I have been teaching 20 + years and in human services), I want my sons education paid for and now my husband is refusing to pay for home maintenance. What can I do?
JA: How old is the child? Is there an agreement for payment of child support?
Customer: the son is 19, my husband denies he has a disability and their is no agreement.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: MN
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We co own both properties, their is 12 years of documentation of sons disability.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Since you co-own the properties, he is going to need your cooperation, as you will with him, for anything to be done with them. By that, I men to sell them, to place them in a trust, etc. Without the cooperation and agreement of both parties, the properties may sit idle, until you can 1) agree to sell or 2) separate and divorce. I know this is not ideal but if you are a victim of abuse and want out of the marriage, you could file for divorce and divide the martial assets and debts and get out of this situation. I know you are with him for your son but if he is placing your home at risk and other assets and you do not think is acting in your best interest, it may be time to consider divorcing and get what you are entitled to and supporting your son.