How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion] Should I file to vacate an acknowledgement

Customer Question

Second opinion] Should I file to vacate an acknowledgement of paternityJA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.Customer: nyJA: Has anything been filed or reported?Customer: I was married and separated at the timeJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: yes my son father which isn't my husband received visitations but hasn't shown in about a year basically my husband and I got back together and are raising this child but the other guy name and last name is ***** ***** son birth certificate
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 months ago.

Any attempt to vacate such an acknowledgment must be done within 60 days, unless one can prove fraud, mistake etc; please see:

Normally if there is an acknowledged bio father that is not involved in the child's life, and the step parent is involved, the step parent and mother can file an adoption petition, which will serve to terminate the bio father's rights.

Please see:

The court can deem that the bio father abaondoned the child after 6 months per Dom. Rel. Law § 111.

As part of the adoption process they can change the name on the birth certificate.

I hope this helps!

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
Terms of service can be viewed here: