Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Second opinion] Should I file to vacate an acknowledgement…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Should I file...
Second opinion] Should I file to vacate an acknowledgement of paternityJA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.Customer: nyJA: Has anything been filed or reported?Customer: I was married and separated at the timeJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: yes my son father which isn't my husband received visitations but hasn't shown in about a year basically my husband and I got back together and are raising this child but the other guy name and last name is ***** ***** son birth certificate
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Any attempt to vacate such an acknowledgment must be done within 60 days, unless one can prove fraud, mistake etc; please see:

https://www.childsupport.ny.gov/dcse/pdfs/4418.pdf

Normally if there is an acknowledged bio father that is not involved in the child's life, and the step parent is involved, the step parent and mother can file an adoption petition, which will serve to terminate the bio father's rights.

Please see:

https://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/family/adoptionTypes.shtml

The court can deem that the bio father abaondoned the child after 6 months per Dom. Rel. Law § 111.

As part of the adoption process they can change the name on the birth certificate.

I hope this helps!

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: