Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My kids school announced to the class he has head lice to…

Customer Question
My kids school announced...

My kids school announced to the class he has head lice to stay away from him. Is that a violation of confidentiality to my son? He's now being subjected to bullying.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there reason to believe the child's safety is in danger?

He's now being subjected to bullying. So yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

This happened yesterday. No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2017
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The school should NOT have singled out your child. It does sound like they may have violated the privacy rights of your son.

There is a federal law and most states have similar laws pertaining to student rights and privacy. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of students. It may be that the school violated this.

You can file a complaint at no cost to you with the State and Federal Departments of Education.

Here is the federal agency contact:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education***** SW
Washington, D.C.###-##-####/p>

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald