Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My kids were taken from me over ten years ago and I was put…

Customer Question
Okay my kids were...

Okay my kids were taken from me over ten years ago and I was put on child support but I didn't have a job couldn't find one now I'm disabled I get SSI and just found out I'm still on child support someone told me to the date of 7-31-17 I have an obscene amount of money that I owe to child support what am I to do about that

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ga

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I don't have the money for a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

As for what was told to me is that my sister has permanent custody of them

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2017
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 11 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, welcome to the site. I’m here to help you today. I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I’d like to review your question for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

What you can do is go back to the court where child support was ordered and file a motion to adjust the amount of child support based on your current income and situation. That will reduce your indebtedness going forward. You can ask the Court to waive or adjust what's called arrearages, the amount you owe.

If you wish to send me your city and county in Georgia, I can see if yours is one of the jurisdictions that offers self-help, or that has forms available to the public on-line or at the court house.

Okay?

Sue

Waycross ga

Thanks for that information.

Not every jurisdiction has self-help available or easily accessible court forms. Ware County has this child support form, along with a child support calculator and child support worksheet. It would be a long shot, but you could contact the other party/parties to your child support case to ask if they might agree to a reduction in child support going forward, and to a reduction or waiver of arrearages.

What I was looking for for you was a motion form that would be your way to get a court hearing, but your jurisdiction doesn't have them on line.

What you can do is contact the Superior Court of Ware County to ask for a motion form for your child support modification request. Here is the contact information for Ware County Clerk of Court. It may also be helpful for you to go down to your local Superior Court to ask for motion form for your child support modification. Sometimes self-help is available, but may not be listed on-line.

Please let me know what happens when you inquire, and I'll be happy to continue to assist you.

My goal is to provide you excellent service. Please do let me know how else I can help you. This thread will stay open for several days. If I am answering your questions to your satisfaction, your 5 star rating would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Sue

Did you find that information helpful? Are you satisfied with the answer, or is there more I can help you with?

Sue