Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Second opinion] Is this online chatting with lawyer or phone…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi Is...

Second opinion] Hi Is this online chatting with lawyer or phone talk?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California. I need a family attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a question about quitclaim deed and divorce,seperation on a joint house.Hi

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi
My 2nd question is about quitclaim deed. My husband agrees to quitclaim deed our house and I will be a sole ownership.
Homestead exemption is $75,000 single. Does homestead have any window to be effective? For instance, home owner must reside at least 2 years at primary residence to be protected by homestead exemption?How does quitclaim deed work in divorce? I live in California and community property states.
Husband agrees to sign to quitclaim deed. Does it mean if home is sold after divorce later on, sold money can be community asset according to California states law? or Since he signs to give up interest, can it be a sole owner's asset?I am just curious of these above...I think I may sell before house values up so there may no big assets...Could be a just break-even, but, I want to know since my own money put in home purchase.Thank you
8/2/2017
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 1 year ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
While there is a residency requirement for a homestead, you do not need to own or live in the home for any specific period of time to get the exemption. Usually, a quit claim deed divest the signer of any interest in the home. However, in the case of divorce, there are situation where the court can still award the home's value to the person who signed the deed. You can't be sure until you enter a settlement agreement or a divorce judgment that assigns the home to you as your sole and separate property.
Where are you in the divorce process?