Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a 16 year old daughter who would like to live with me…

Customer Question
I have a 16...

I have a 16 year old daughter who would like to live with me her father..i live in Oklahoma...i pay my child support in Nebraska..what do i do?...I'm self employed. ..50 years old ..i have a very tight budget..she wants to move now..

Lawyer's Assistant: How old is the child? Is there an agreement for payment of child support?

Nebraska..16

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is currently visiting me now ..they currently live in South Dakota

Do i have to have a lawyer..can she live with me now..or does it have to go through the court system

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2017
Family Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Bill Attorney

This is attorney Bill offering assistance.

The laws in relation to child custody require the petitioner/you to file a petition in the court that has reserved jurisdiction in relation to resolving your family matters.

This will be the court that determined your custody arrangement last.

You are entitled to file a modification of custody petition with the court.

In order for the modification to be ultimately approved , this must be in the best interests of the child.

Because your child is now older, the child's own determination is something of more weight and significance that could allow a court to modify your previous arrangement.

In addition in your petition you should state other changes in circumstances : schooling, social, and financial that might warrant a modification of the original custody order.

We are here to help.

Please follow up with me when needed.

In return remember to rate positively.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today before exiting

Thanks

Attorney Bill