Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Me and my wife are separating but we are not married. We…

Me and my wife are...
Me and my wife are separating but we are not married. We have 2 kids one 2 year old and 5 year old. We have a house that we are still paying. What will need to happend to have everything good.
8/1/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can agree here to sell it jointly.Is there any chance you are common law here, do you file jointly , ever held out as being married?

A valid common law marriage in Texas is where a man and woman become husband and wife without getting a marriage license and having a marriage ceremony. Once established, a common law marriage has the same legal effect as a ceremonial marriage. (3) Told others (hold yourselves out) that you are married.

Common Law Marriage in Texas - FindLaw

If you cannot agree to sell here either could file a suit for partition.Also if you are common law then you could file for divorce and divide up property.

I appreciate the chance to help you please let me know if you have more.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

What about the kids. I just don't want to get in child support . I just want to see if we could both agree a sudden amount each month. We both agree on doing that . Because am self-employed.

You can agree here.Unless there is a paternity suit and agreement it is not binding on you strictly voluntary but you can do so.

Here is information about partition if you cannot agree to sell the house..

http://www.lonestarlandlaw.com/Partitions-of-Texas.html

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.The best here to you moving on.

I still don't fully understand . I think I need to probably need a life person. This is so hard todo.
Because every one is new for this .

Yes it can be hard.You may want to use a lawyer to be the bad guy and negotiate here.

U have a lawyer that I could talk about this tomorrow here in san antonio tx that u could recommend me

Call here the state bar can get you one

Contact us by phone:(###) ###-####(Toll Free), Monday - Friday, CST, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer