How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42862
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my wife are separating but we are not married. We

This answer was rated:

Me and my wife are separating but we are not married. We have 2 kids one 2 year old and 5 year old. We have a house that we are still paying. What will need to happend to have everything good.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can agree here to sell it jointly.Is there any chance you are common law here, do you file jointly , ever held out as being married?

A valid common law marriage in Texas is where a man and woman become husband and wife without getting a marriage license and having a marriage ceremony. Once established, a common law marriage has the same legal effect as a ceremonial marriage. (3) Told others (hold yourselves out) that you are married.

Common Law Marriage in Texas - FindLaw

If you cannot agree to sell here either could file a suit for partition.Also if you are common law then you could file for divorce and divide up property.

I appreciate the chance to help you please let me know if you have more.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What about the kids. I just don't want to get in child support . I just want to see if we could both agree a sudden amount each month. We both agree on doing that . Because am self-employed.

You can agree here.Unless there is a paternity suit and agreement it is not binding on you strictly voluntary but you can do so.

Here is information about partition if you cannot agree to sell the house..

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.The best here to you moving on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I still don't fully understand . I think I need to probably need a life person. This is so hard todo.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Because every one is new for this .

Yes it can be hard.You may want to use a lawyer to be the bad guy and negotiate here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
U have a lawyer that I could talk about this tomorrow here in san antonio tx that u could recommend me

Call here the state bar can get you one

Contact us by phone:(###) ###-####(Toll Free), Monday - Friday, CST, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

RayAnswers and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you