TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I need to know how can I get joint custody of my

Customer Question

i need to know how can I get joint custody of my grantdaughter from her grandmother cs she was let me see her since she got custody of her an I didn't no after her mother an father got killed
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: ALABAMA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: LIKE WHAT
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I DONT KNOW
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

In a nutshell, to gain joint custody you'd have to visit the court clerk, ask for the forms to petition the court for joint custody, then file them with the court clerk. But the legal argument that you must make is that a change in custody is in the child's best interests. In your case, you can argue that it is in the child's best interests to have a relationship with you just as with the other grandparent. Certainly, the more family involved in a child's life the better.

Ideally, you should hire an attorney to handle this matter for you, however, since you will have a much better chance at prevailing in court. But an attorney is not a requirement since you do have the right to represent yourself.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)