Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How do I find a pro-bono lawyer?

Customer Question
How do I find a pro-bono lawyer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
7/31/2017
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks very much.

If yours is a criminal case, there are very few pro bono attorneys who are not also public defenders. If your lack of income qualifies you for a free lawyer, after you come before the judge and plead not guilty at your arraignment, you can tell the judge you lack the funds to hire a private lawyer and ask him to appoint you a free lawyer.

Otherwise, if this is a civil case, here's a list of pro bono agencies in your state.

apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/freehelp.cfm?id=TX

You may have to make a number of phone calls, but you should be able to find some hands-on assistance. Also, lawyers in the pro bono loop may know of others, so don't get too discouraged.

Texas has a number of law schools. Another good resource available for free or low priced legal assistance is law school clinics where law students research, write and handle actual cases and issues under the supervision of a practicing professor/lawyer. Some of these law school clinics have excellent reputations, and if a court appearance is called for, the professor goes to court.

Law students are trained legal researchers. They are energetic, idealistic and enjoy putting their efforts into a cause they can believe in. Here's a link to Texas Law school clinics. The kinds of clinics that they have are noted on the list. These clinics are either free to the public or have a sliding fee scale.

https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+law+school+clinics&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Hope this helps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is family law so why 59 more dollars i can a free consultant makes no send

The $59 dollars is for a phone call which is a strictly optional premium service. You have already received your answer. There is no obligation to pay anything further for a premium service you don't need or want.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All I need is some one to file 3 pappers for a low cost i love on Fish

And I've already linked you to the free agencies that can do that for you.

Best of luck!

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.