Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband is in the process of retiring. He was divorced…

Customer Question
Hello. My husband is...

Hello. My husband is in the process of retiring. He was divorced legally over 5 years ago without a QDRO. Now the company he is retiring from wants a QDRO signed by both parties. Former spouse refuses to sign.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is one of you about to retire and start drawing on the pension/retirement plan covered by the QDRO?

My husband is retiring, and we have drafted a QDRO. The divorce judgement states that she (his former spouse ) will get 50% of pension But she refuses to provide her SSN number and sign the document this is delaying him from receiving his pension

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What to know how my husband can get this rectified since he does not have his former wife's consent at all

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/31/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

The QDRO has to be signed by a judge to be valid. You can get everything you need by filing a motion with the judge. He could also start by filing a Motion to Sign QADRO and send discovery to the ex-wife to obtain the information required. However, QDRO are extremely difficult to draft correctly, judgments have no patience for parties to draft it themselves and so it is better to have an attorney to file the motion and and do the discovery as well as draft the QDRO. In addition, having an attorney will make things happen faster.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.