How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30382
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do grand parents have vistation rights. I have been co

Customer Question

Do grand parents have vistation rights. I have been co parenting my Grand daughter for seven years along with her other grandparent the parent are divorces she has live with both of us divided time. but every time my daughter her mother does like something we say she won't let us see her but she does see her thorw all responsible on them an there think she might do the same to them so they go along with it.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Baltimore MD
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My daughter her mother gives know support at all for this child her of the father everything she wears eat or need is supplied by one or both of the grand parents she see her about once or twice week the father has only saw her two time this year
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Maryland law allows a grand parent to petition for court-ordered visitation with grandchild. How the case will be decided depends on a few factors. The first step is to see if you qualify as a de facto parent. There are four factors:

  1. The legal parent consented to and fostered the relationship between you and the child;
  2. You have lived with the child;
  3. You perform parental functions for the child to a significant degree; AND
  4. A parent-child bond has been forged. (To prove this, you may need to show that the bond has formed over enough time.)

If you meet those requirements, then you can argue that you're a de facto parent and the judge will look at whether allowing you to see your grandchild is in the child's best interests. Since you said the child has lived with you and the other grandparent for seven years, you have a good chance of showing that you stand in the role of a parent. That will make it easier for you to get visitation.

Because the law tends to favor parents over non-parents, it can help to have a local attorney assist you with filing the paperwork and arguing the case. You don't need a lawyer, but it can help to have someone who knows the system on your side.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Do you have questions about this?