Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am trying to get married to my boyfriend who is here on a…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to get married to my boyfriend who is here on a working Visa what is the procedure?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I am in Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 day by:
8/2/2017
Family Lawyer: S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney replied 1 year ago
S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
The fact that he is here on a visa doesn't really change the procedure. Start by getting a marriage license from a city or town clerk. You must both go no more than 60 days before the wedding and there will be a fee. You must show proof of age, and if you have one, a social security number. There is a three day was waiting period before you get your license. After the wedding ceremony is complete, whomever you chose to perform the ceremony must sign and return your marriage license to the city or town clerk where it was issued so it can be legally recorded. Do you have any other questions?