How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118765
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a wedding planned for this saturday @ 6pm. We went to

Customer Question

I have a wedding planned for this saturday @ 6pm. We went to get our license last week and was told that you have to have a state ID. HOWEVER, on the requirement brochure it simply states that all applicants must have PHOTO ID and Social Security card. My fiance is 68, Im 65. Both disabled, Christians that don't want to live together unless married. IHe has a Fla. ID that expired about two years ago and a picture ID where he worked at a job building Universal Studios. He does not drive and never thought he needed a S.C. ID because he has medicade and medicare from the state and a social security card and medicare papers that have his birthdate and SS number on the paper. And I have other papers. He does not have a birth certificate and here lies the problem. He a
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: He was born in Kentucky and his birth was recorded in the family bible. When his father deceased the step mom took off with the bible never to be seen again. The first time he was seen by a doctor was in Clarksville, Ind. at the age of 9 or 10 and he thinks he was registered then. I have sent application fees to Kentucky for his birth certificate and will not get it in time for our wedding saturday. It is a catch 22 situation that we desperately need help with. We are in SC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: as to what
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The State Requirements plainly sate that you need an identification (photo ID0 and SS card. IT DOES NOT SAY STATE PHOTO ID
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Since you are working on getting a birth certificate, I am not going to go over that unless you ask.
Unfortunately, SC required VALID Photo ID from any state, not just SC. If he had a valid passport that would legally suffice as photo ID as well. If his FL ID was not expired, that would also suffice. Him not having a birth certificate is an issue beyond your control and any attorney's control to make happen any faster. In fact, if KY will not issue a birth certificate, you would need an attorney in KY to file a petition in KY to establish birth.
If he has any valid state issue ID (regardless of state) or passport and the clerk will not accept it, then you need to go to the county administrator and file a complaint, because they are supposed to accept any valid/current photo ID.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Please do not open new questions for follow ups. You posted a follow up using a new question instead of clicking REPLY to this question and asked: But the brochure does not say that. It states a photo is. NOT A STATE IS. The brochure is wrong and misleading.

I agree the brochure is not fully complete, but unfortunately, when they ask for photo ID they do not mean photo ID that has expired and they do not mean non-government photo ID. It is implied in their brochure that the identification still be valid.