Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My girlfriend is having a serious problem. The was put up…

Customer Question
Hey my girlfriend is...

Hey my girlfriend is having a serious problem. The was put up for an open adoption as a baby she is now 17 at age 16 without her adoptive mother's permission, her birth mother took her from Texas and now has her in California. Her adoptive parents seem to have abandoned her with her birth mother. Is this legal? Because it sounds like child abandonment on the adoptive parents' part and kid napping on the birth mother's part. Please help we need clarity

Lawyer's Assistant: Were the police contacted? Is there an active case or investigation?

Her adoptive parents did not call the police. We believe they are happy with her now out of the house, they cut off all communication to her and won't return any phone calls.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That seems like mostly it.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/31/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Under Texas law, kidnapping occurs when a person takes a child from the state without the consent of the parent or guardian. Tex. Pen. Code, Section 20.01. It wasn't kidnapping for the mother to take her at 16 with the consent of the birth parents.

Abandonment is a type of child abuse, and it requires leaving a child in a situation where there is a substantial risk of harm (including emotional harm) without making arrangements for the child to be cared for. Family Code, Section 261.01. It is unfortunately not considered abandonment to make arrangements for a person under the age of 18 to be cared for by another adult, unless they had reason to believe the birth mother would put her in danger.

If she IS in danger of emotional or physical harm, either you or she can call child services and ask them to intervene. If she's safe, then she will be free to return to Texas on her 18th birthday.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Good luck.

Do you have any questions about this?