Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question about a child support arrears case. In. I…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about a child support arrears case.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

In Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I think I didn't respond to something in time, even though I spoke with the case worker that it would be a little difficult to get records, but I'm getting my hands on them.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Naw, I can give him the details.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/31/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Ask away here, what can I help you with,thanks.

this case springs from a child support order dating back to ~May 2003, wherein a debt of $20K was entered, and arrears arranged to be paid on top of the support amount.The custodial parent is claiming that none of the $20K debt has ever been paid.Initially, arrears payments were $300/mo till the end of 2005, then it was changed to $175/mo until ~May 2010. I kept all of my records, however they are currently located in my ex-wife's house, which is currently undergoing repairs from a flood, so I'm trying to meet with her this week to retrieve those.In the interim, the custodial parent herself has provided documentation to support *my* claim that she WAS paid arrears (the amount of arrears payments she admitted to receiving on paper comes to $8,192.00, a significant difference in terms of the overall amount).DCSE appears to have accepted her claim at face value, and pinned the arrears debt at a value of ~$24K, including interest, which is hugely negligent on their part given that they A. have the information that the custodial parent provided them, and were informed by me that the payment history provided by her more or less provided that I'd paid at least $8,192.00, and B. the custodial parent has clearly committed perjury, since to even apply for DCSE support, she has to sign a statement saying that she never received the money when she *clearly* did as shown by her own documentation.So the question arises: What can I do? I'm in the process of looking for a new home, and I really can't afford DCSE claiming I owe money I don't.

You have the burden to prove up the payments.You need to make this a priority to get the records.If you cannot support with records here they are likely to pursue the full amount.It is critical to document each payment you make for this very reason that over time people come and go on your case and these things show up.If you were sending personal checks then you may get copies of the old ones from the bank you bank at if you have too.I understand the custodial parent may have lied here but you bear burden to prove any offset you have coming by way of proof of payments.I know its a lot of hassle here but its important you get the records if you want credit/offset.