Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My great grandchildren are in care. four girls. ages about…

Customer Question
My great grandchildren are...

My great grandchildren are in foster care. four girls. ages about 16, 14. 12, and 10. their mother lives in tacoma, washington. she say, the children are in maple valley, washington. how may I get visitation rights to see them? I live in pasco. washington. their mother lost parental rights.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any papers been filed in family court?

Not from me. i don't know how.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The girls are together in the same foster home. I like to contact by phone to get acquainted with the foster parent. to write, send pictures, etc.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/31/2017
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The initial act would be to contact the case worker with child protective services and try to arrange visitation and request that you be allowed to take custody of the children. Most courts want the children to be with family if at all possible. Of course, they'll have to do home studies, inspections, etc. before the court would approve the transfer.

Also, the court may require you to become an approved foster parent.....which can take a few months.

But, in order to get things moving, you need to reach out to the case worker and let him/her know that you are willing to take the children in.

Roger, Attorney