Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

My friend is married and her husband is in a assisted living

Customer Question

my friend is married and her husband is in a assisted living facility. He has mega bucks and she is living in a home on a ranch he owns. He provides her with no support and wants to charge her rent. does he have a responsibility to provide for her. He is 92 and she is 71.
JA: How long was the marriage? Do both parties earn roughly the same amount of money?
Customer: neither work, he has mega investments and they have been married 27 years. She has a small pension and about $500 income from a small rental..
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: do you mean for separation or divorce
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Nevada
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Generally, each spouse has an ongoing obligation to financially support the other spouse if the other spouse is financially disadvantaged, however, such spousal support can only be ordered by the court upon parties filing for legal separation and/or divorce in the local family court, as otherwise the court would not get involved in joint affairs between to spouses who are legally married.

I wish you the best of luck!