Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son wants to stay with me for the week. My ex wife is…

Customer Question
My son wants to...

My son wants to stay with me for the week. My ex wife is refusing him to stay. We are divorced but have no legal agreements with child custody. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Who has legal custody? Is there a child custody order in place?

No. There is no legal custody in place.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I live in VA however she and the kids have been living in PA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just need to know if it's ok for my son to stay with me or do I need to make him go back. I don't want to do anything wrong with the law.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/30/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Ok great, thank you

No custody or visitation agreement you can do what you want here.She may not like it but legally you have right to keep kid as long as you want since there were no orders from the divorce.Long term you may want to seek modification to get fixed periods.Legally you are fine to have kind another week.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

just to confirm. Since there is no legal agreement my son can extend his visit with me for the week and she can not call the police to say I'm kidnapping my son. Is that correct in my understanding?

Thats correct you aren't violating any laws civil or criminal.

Thank you so much for your time!

You are so welcome and thanks for rating 5 stars.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer