Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My divorce was final in 2014. My X was verbally abusive and…

Customer Question
Hi. My divorce was...
Hi. My divorce was final in 2014. My X was verbally abusive and controlling. He made me sign a computer driven document stating I would ask for no Alimony. I was married 21 years, had 2 daughters and worked full time until an accident in 2011. I am on SSD. All our income went into one account. I had asked him to leave but he would not and situation was getting scary. My family was all in NY, therefore that is where I went. I was not allowed one piece of furniture etc, only what I could fit in my car. We lived in a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house with a pool in Fl. He just recently resided the house and put all new landscaping in front. He is the only one living there, and has stated he will not sell, because he wants me to have nothing out of the house. My question is, can I go back after him for alimony? I am having a hard time making it on my own with just SSD. Shouldn't he be responsible for helping me to maintain a certain lifestyle? He makes 16,000/month. His life never changed, still travels, buys cars for my daughters', pays mortgage for one etc. Can I do anything to make him pay a little?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/30/2017
Family Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

If the divorce decree was finalized and as part of that, there was no alimony awarded, then the only real possible approach that you could do is file a motion with the Florida court to vacate the judgment for the reasons that you were too afraid to ask for alimony and you felt coerced into signing that document due to the fear. The problem is that most courts will not entertain this type of motion after one year has passed. It is possible that a court MIGHT vacate but it is going to be unlikely that they are going to waive the one year limitation. If you have spoken to Florida attorneys who have listened to the facts of your case and stated that it is time barred, then you are probably in a difficult position.

Your best bet is to keep calling around to Florida attorneys and see if anyone would be willing to at least just take the chance of filing the motion on your behalf. There really is nothing to lose by at least trying to get the divorce decree vacated.

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney