How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28356
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a daughter that has been married 1 year and 8 months.

Customer Question

Hello. I have a daughter that has been married 1 year and 8 months. After they married her husband started using drugs (heroin and meth). She kicked him out of their house almost 30 days ago after he refused to go to rehab and get help. He threatened that he is taking her to court for emergency spousal support if she does't let him back in the house. Can he get spousal support from her after being married such a short time and being an addict?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He has an recent arrest for drug possession and she is worried because he keeps threatening her. She is working a new job and works 12 hours a day and is trying to not let this affect her work.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. While he may try, it is unlikely. First off, for short-term marriages, generally defined as marriages of under 10 years, the presumption is that support should last for approximately one-half the length of the marriage. Second, there would need to be a basis for it and in this case, with his decision to use drugs and his refusal to quit and get help, it would be hard for a Judge to "reward" that behavior and simply require her to pay him spousal support. Third, it would need to be a situation whereby he was not working and taking care of the household, opposed to just not making any effort to do so because he is a drug user. While he could try and ask for it, it would be unlikely a Judge would order it, unless he can show good cause.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!