Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I live in the state of Iowa and my child was in the custody

Customer Question

Hello I live in the state of Iowa and my child was in the custody or is in the custody of the state of Missouri she came up here three months ago her caseworker knowingly brought her here her team in St. Louis is no more she's been the whole time on Wednesday they told me that they need her to come back and I asked them why and they said the proper paperwork wasn't completed an icpc I don't see why she's been here all the time and all of a sudden even become her to come back when I contacted the local Department of family services they informed me she did not have to be present in the state of Missouri for them to do the paperwork so can I keep her here or what do I need to do I think it would be you know an emotional distress for her to go back down there she 16 almost 17 years old
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don't see why she's been here all the time and all of a sudden even become her to come back when I contacted the local Department of family services they informed me she did not have to be present in the state of Missouri for them to do the paperwork so can I keep her here or what do I need to do I think it would be you know an emotional distress for her to go back down there she 16 almost 17 years old
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I am very sorry to hear about your situation. The ICPC in the state of Missouri is basically placement paperwork for children. The bright side is that if they say that she does not need to go back to Missouri for them to finish the paperwork, then the best thing that you can do is just make the home as comfortable as possible for your child. If you contacted the Department of Family Services and they told you this, that I would rely on that information. Additionally, the fact that the child is an older child will really help out a lot. If they say for some reason that she needs to come back, she can say that she would be suffering from emotional distress if she were to return to Missouri. Typically, very young children’s opinions are not included in these kinds of placement decisions, but older children, who are usually less influenced by their parents, it a little bit more credit.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No they are saying that I have to bring her back until proper paperwork is done

I see. But someone told you that the paperwork could be completed while she is in IA, correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The department of human services in Iowa yes

Understood.

I understand what you mean. If I was saying that she does not need to go anywhere and if the child does not want to go anywhere, I would recommend just keeping the child in the meantime. There's not going to be any law on this situation that really dictates exactly what you should do, so you may just have to do what's in the best interest of the child. In the end, in court in Iowa and a court in Missouri would only be looking as to what is in the best interest of the child and if the best interest to stay with you, then she should stay with you. Did you have any other questions for me?