How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5211
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom was asked to sign a piece of paper by my father in

Customer Question

Hi my mom was asked to sign a piece of paper by my father in 1967 for a quick divorce in Mexico . He had told her it was for a lawyer to act as her representive she was 19. I never knew this . She has the papers there are no signitures on the document and her name is ***** ***** wrong twice there is a seal that says that Mexico does not take responsiablity for anything on the papers that were signed she picked them up a few years ago at the county clerks office there is no date that is was filed with the county clerks office
JA: Are there any minor children from the relationship? What is the custody situation?
Customer: no I am his daughter and he remarried 6 times and has two children with one ex wife they are not minors
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: This was done in New York City ny in 1967
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If this was a leagal divorce , her name is ***** ***** bad and no filing date no signatures and no date as to when it was done
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Ordinarily, the United States will recognize divorces done in other countries. This is particularly true of other North American countries such as Canada and Mexico. However, if you have questions about the authenticity of this document, then it is entirely possible that your father and your mother were never officially divorced. If this is the case, then this could have some implications in terms of any money then either your mother or your father would leave to you in the event of their death. Also, this may also have some implications for your father if you remarried after you met your mother as well as those marriages would not have been valid. Could you tell me understand a little bit more about what concerns you about the situation specifically?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What concerns me and my mom is that she never received any papers and was told to do this by his family and when she finally got the papers is she fivorced
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

I see. Whether she was coerced to do it will be notwithstanding as far as the courts are concerned. If she was an adult and she signed the papers, then they will consider that she intended to get divorced. However, whether she was actually divorced is a different situation. She may have to work a bit harder (or you may have to) to get the document authenticated. This may mean taking it to someone who can review the document or perhaps contacting Mexican authorities (if you haven't already) and asking them for a copy of the divorce decree if they have one. Did you have any other questions for me?

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.