How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Bradley Your Own Question
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1067
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael Bradley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband asked his 17 year old daughter to move out with

Customer Question

My husband asked his 17 year old daughter to move out with her mom because she has been doing drugs and skipping school. Can he get in trouble
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She has already moved out and the mother is talking abandonment is this true?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 2 months ago.

trouble in what way?

is there a custody court order?

is there a child support order?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In trouble for kicking her out? There is a custody order that he has custody but she's at her mom's now, without going to court first. That's why the mother is saying abandonment. But she is 17 been doing drugs and bad in school and was begged to do what's right. She smashed 3 different cars in less than a year also
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have her drug paraphernalia box with marijuana, cigar papers and a scale. The last vehicle she smashed is in the drive way and we can get her school records if needed. He is just worried that he asked her to leave without going to court first. We just need some assurance that it's okay
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The mother is ordered to pay, she is behind and making payments that is owed. She hasn't gone to court yet either to change the custody order
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 2 months ago.

I do not see this as a case of abandonment. It is not like he threw her out on the street with nowhere to go. She went to the mothers. I can understand his thought process considering that she has been doing drugs in the house and has done bad in school let alone the issues with the cars. The fact that you found a scale goes past using and enters selling territory. It abandonment under the law. Considering all the facts and also the fact that she 17. Since there is a custody order in place, it would probably be a good idea to change that. Then you would need to file a petition to modify in order to do that. Of course, that would be before the child reached the age of 18.

The child support is a different manner. Child is 17, order to pay will not be that long. The fact that she owes on arrears would also limit what she would receive. I am guessing that this is not a concern here as to what is been going on and child-support is not all that important as to getting her out of the house due to her conduct.

Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 2 months ago.

how can I help you more?