How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Bradley Your Own Question
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1067
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael Bradley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going to court on August 30th. I live in Ca. Here's my

Customer Question

I am going to court on August 30th. I live in Ca. Here's my situation my ex owes me still since 2003 back child support. He who pay on and off during those years and sometimes years I would not get a dime. He has another child with some else he is around 14. He talked her out of child support and they started living together because he had other woman. He was on crack and other drugs and eventually got a stroke supoosily from not taking his Medes. I am not sure if this is a disability check or his as check. So the courts called me and ask if I would take 200.00 instead of my $1,500.00 which I was not getting for a year. I said no. Because he owes me a lot of back support. So I got one check for over 3,000 and my next one was 860 sometime and I got another one last month. I just got paperwork in the mail to go to court for my back support. Do I have any leg. I don't make a lot of money I still pay my children health insurance which comes out of my check and one of my kids still lives with me. He never help with health and he was suppose to at least do half. He has a couple of mild strokes. I had breast cancer and he never help me and that was 2012. I am so wore out. I have taken care of our three children for years without his help
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ca
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I don't have the money
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He is living with that woman with his kid. They were never married but in the past they lived together. She just needs money. She only had one child I had three with him. When I ask child support what to do in the past they told me get two jobs
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 2 months ago.

yes you still have a leg to stand on. You are owed the money and do not have to accept less just because they asked.

If I was you I would continue to fight to get the money.

I would see if he is on SSI or SSD and maybe the kids could qualify for money

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well if he was on regular SS they would not have given me half if that is correct. I was reading about it. My kids are over 18 but he still owes me back support plus I paid all of the kids health insurance . They are still on my health insurance. My son I paid till he was 26 he is 29 now. He was suppose to go half and never did. So it comes right out of my pay check.
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 2 months ago.
You are correct. I would pursue all you are owed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Even if he had strokes will the judge be on his side. Because he wants to give me less money to survive .with his 14 year old and ex girlfriend living with him.
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 2 months ago.

that should not matter. when comes to support it is whether it is owed or not.

the court should not treat one family different than the other