Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

DOES THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RECOGNIZE A COMMON LAW MARRIAGE

Customer Question

DOES THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RECOGNIZE A COMMON LAW MARRIAGE CONTRACT FOR SURVIVOR BENEFIT PLAN PURPOSES?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: FLORIDA.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

Be aware, however, this is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. There is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. While I am happy to speak to you, if you wish, I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

When was the common law marriage established? In which state?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Are you online with me?