Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was just court ordered to pay child support for the month…

Customer Question
I was just court...

I was just court ordered to pay child support for the month of July. our case was rescheduled to next month mainly becasue I need to show more proof of child care.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Was ordered to pay $614 for starting July but cant afford it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
7/29/2017
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 6 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, welcome to the site. I’m here to help you today. I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I’d like to review your question for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

Sue

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

What you can do is pay what you can for July. The remainder the court ordered due will accumulate in arrearages, which you'll still owe.

One concept to bear in mind is once a certain amount has been ordered, you are responsible for that. However, going forward, the more quickly you can show your proof of child care expenses, the more quickly you can get the court to reduce your child support obligation.

Also, child support changes over time depending on your income and the other parent's income. As that changes you can file a motion asking the court to re-calculate child support to a lower amount.

Many jurisdictions offer child support calculators, which give a rough estimate of what you'd owe. It's a good idea to use this calculator to make sure when you go back to court you don't end up paying more.

You can find the California Department of Child Support Services' official child support calculator here.

Does that answer your question satisfactorily?

If you would like to provide more information, if you have other questions or if I can be of any further assistance, please just reply to continue. My goal is to provide you with excellent service.

Sue
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney