RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

My wife french, we live in France and got married in 2014 in

Customer Question

I am English, my wife french, we live in France and got married in 2014 in Las Vegas. Is the marriage valid? What are each of our rights in case of divorce? Property in France, Africa and UK?
JA: Are there any minor children from the relationship? What is the custody situation?
Customer: No Children from marriage
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The question really concerns how the estate would be split and under which law?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

The marriage is valid and would be recognized.If you file in France the property and debts you acquired since 2014 will be divided.Either you reach agreement or the court divides it.France would recognize a
US marriage here if the license was duly recorded after the ceremony.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Reference

It does not matter that the couple are foreign nationals, or that they may have married in another country; the court here will deal with the divorce under French rules. Only the property ownership aspects of the separation may be influenced by the law of the place where the couple entered into their marriage.Sep 3, 2010

Divorce: your options in France - The Connexion