How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5235
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorced woman under alimony in CT. Want to be able to

Customer Question

i am divorced woman under alimony in CT. Want to be able to live w my boyfriend and not risk my alimony. I have no debt and make more than he does. what can I do ?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: norwalk, CT
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have very good relationship w my ex. He is engaged to be married. our Kid is 21 yrs old. I own my house, my boyfriend has his own house as well.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. In your case, having a live-in boyfriend is not going to risk your alimony automatically. However, keep in mind, the court can choose to reduce or eliminate alimony because of your circumstances. What may happen is that your former spouse may go to the court and request a modification of the alimony because you are now living with somebody that is now bringing in income. It will ultimately be up to the courts whether they decide to reduce the alimony, but if you can show that his income is not going to impact your standard of living significantly, then the court may decide to do nothing. It really just depends first on whether your former spouse is going to take any action on it and it also depends on whether the court agrees with him.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?