WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years experience, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT LAWYER FOR FAMILY, IMMIGRATION AND CRIMINAL LAW
16356563

My husband and I are having family problems. Our son and

Customer Question

Hi. my husband and I are having family problems. Our son and daughter-in-law are not letting us see our 8yr. old granddaughter. We would like to know our rights on this matter. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Susan Menchaca
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, they think we turned them in to Child Protective Services. That is the reason they are keeping her from us.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 2 months ago.

This is an unfortunate situation,

In Texas, Grandparents may file suit requesting custody if they believe it is in the child's best interest. In Texas, a court can authorize grandparent visitation of a grandchild if visitation is in the child's best interest, and one of the following circumstances exists:

• The parents divorced;
  • The parent abused or neglected the child;
  • The parent has been incarcerated, found incompetent, or died;
  • A court-order terminated the parent-child relationship; or
  • The child has lived with the grandparent for at least six months.

Visitation statutes do not give a grandparent an absolute right to visitation. You should apply at your local family court in the county where the children reside,

The Hotline provides services to Texas residents age 60 and older. Call(###) ###-####or go online at www.tlsc.org/legalhotline.asp.

Good luck and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive payment for the answers.

I have not received any payment for my answers, Please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive payment for the answers.