RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

If my husband was married in Jamaica, in 2010, but didn't

Customer Question

If my husband was married in Jamaica, in 2010, but didn't file papers in Texas, is he considered married? Would he have to divorce her, which would nullify our marriage?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do u mean?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He did not file for divorce from that wife and since there's no record here, in Texas, we were issued a marriage license and been married for 3yrs.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Please stand by as I work on your answer!

Yes, he is still married to his first wife, even if he never told Texas he was married. He will need to divorce his first wife. Texas recognizes foreign marriage, and there is no need to file paperwork to register a foreign marriage. In order for your marriage to be valid, he will need to divorce his first wife.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can I prove to him he's married? He's fighting me on this and swears he's not married.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 months ago.

You can check in Jamaica to see if there was a wedding license.

The Registrar General's Department (RGD) allows you to request another copy online- a refreshing improvement to the old bureaucratic process of the past.

However, in addition to other basic information, you need to ensure you have the following to do so:

• Place of Marriage
  • Date of Marriage
  • Parties' Names &
  • Marriage Officer's Name

Moreover, they will send it to you wherever you are in the world!

Here is the link to make the request.
It is fairly straightforward.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I attempted to get it today but didn't know the location and my husband won't tell me. I know it exists because I did get an email from their office verifying the date and officiate.

Maybe an investigator can find information here

https://www.einvestigator.com/jamaica-private-investigators/