Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 17 years experience
19958803

My daughter is 22 years old and her father has never paid

Customer Question

My daughter is 22 years old and her father has never paid child support. He has been an absent father and last saw her when she was 2 years old. Is it possible to have him pay the child support that is due to me for all the years he did not pay? And if so how is that calculated and how do I start the process?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Flroida Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: When she was a little over one years old I started the process but never finished it because he was in a bad accident and took him over a year to recover. I did not want to burden him with that in the middle of everything else he was dealing with.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know if it is possible to collect that money that is due to me for all the years he never paid anything.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Did you ever file a paternity suit against him and have a judge order him to pay a certain amount of support?

.

If not, then it is too late to do so now as the statute of limitations expired when the child turned 18. You could only file for child support up until then.

.

So if you didn't pursue your original case to a judgment and order against the father, then unfortunately you couldn't do so now.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was so long ago ....I know I did go to the courthouse and they put together the documents that he was going to be served with. Literally like two days before he was scheduled to be served he was in a terrible accident at work so I asked them to hold off on the serving process since he was in a comma in the hospital. After that I never did anything further.

Ok, unfortunately if you didn't pursue it to a point where a judge actually issued an order, then it would be too late to do so now...

.

I am sorry that the news isn't better.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much